Side dish or entrée, Steamed Callaloo is a tasty, versatile green that is enjoyed in countless Jamaican homes all day everyday. Jamaican callaloo aka Amaranth (Not to be confused with Trinidadian callaloo (dasheen leaves) is a nutrition packed powerhouse that is heavily featured in Jamaican cuisine. Loaded with calcium, protein and other essential nutrients callaloo is especially prominent in the Rastafarian’s Ital diet. Callaloo can be cooked solo or combined with other vegetables or saltfish to make a tasty entrée. Steamed callaloo is similar to Spinach in flavor and nutritional value.
Callaloo can be prepared any number of ways. It is one of the main ingredients in Pepperpot Soup. In Jamaica, callaloo is often served with saltfish or steamed with herbs and spices to make a vegetarian entree. The Trini version along with a complete recipe will be explained in a later post.
Most people pay attention to amaranth because of its high protein content, making it a crucial nutrient source for certain cultures, but there has been new research revealing that it also contains a certain peptide that has also been identified in soybeans that can reduce inflammation in the body. This anti-inflammatory molecule can also help to alleviate conditions like arthritis, gout, and other inflammation-related issues…” ~Organic Facts~
Side dish or entrée. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. Steamed Callaloo is a tasty, versatile green that is enjoyed in countless Jamaican homes all day everyday. Not to be confused with Trinidadian callaloo (dasheen leaves) Steamed callaloo is a tasty nutrient packed vegetable can be cooked solo or combined with other vegetables or saltfish to make a tasty entrée. Steamed callaloo is similar to Spinach in flavor and nutritional value. Keep reading for a step by step recipe for Jamaican- style steamed callaloo
Steamed Callaloo Recipe, Jamaican style
- 1 bunch about 4 firmly packed cups callaloo, chopped
- 1 lg. carrot chopped, optional
- ¼ C water
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 1 plum tomato chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ¼ hot pepper optional
- 1 sprig thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste optional
- 1 TB butter or oil optional
- *1 pk noodle soup optional
- * If using noodle omit salt.
- “Pick” callaloo.Remove any debris, holey and dried leaves, and hard stalks. Wash in cold water. Discard the water.Wash again in 2 qts. water and 1 TB salt. Discard water. Drain. Place callaloo in a saucepan add remaining ingredients. Cover the pot and cook callaloo over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking. After 15 minutes test for tenderness. If callaloo is still firm add a few tablespoons of water, if needed cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice, bread or fried dumplings as a vegetarian meal. Or serve as a side dish with meat and other foods.
* Add ½ lb. cooked and flaked saltfish.
* To make this dish Ital, omit salt, butter and noodles