The pumpkin risotto recipe below combines many of my favorite ingredients to make a delectable dish that is both simple and elegant. It has all the flavors of traditional Jamaican pumpkin rice combined with a rich creamy parmesan cheese sauce. This dish makes a delicious risotto that works equally well as a side dish or a simple meatless meal. There are many pumpkin risotto recipes across the Internet but, the addition of scallion, thyme, and allspice amps things up.
Seasoned Rice or Risotto?!
All risotto is seasoned rice. Not all seasoned rice is risotto.
One of the main differences between risotto and pumpkin rice is the type of rice used to create the dish. Pumpkin rice generally uses long-grain rice. Risotto uses short or medium-grain rice like arborio or canaroli. The shorter wider grains are better a to attain its creamy texture. Anything less is seasoned rice. Add the zip of fresh-grated parmesan cheese and the rich creaminess of heavy cream for a lip-smacking good-tasting time.
When you make this pumpkin risotto recipe, prepare the rice and the sauce separately. When you are ready to serve combine everything.
To coax maximum flavor from your ingredients. First sauté the onion, pumpkin, garlic, and thyme together with the spice. Next add a little water to the pumpkin and let it simmer until soft. Once the pumpkin is cooked, it’s time to build your sauce.
The pre-grated Parmesan cheese that comes in a bottle makes a decent risotto but, fresh grated parmesan from a block of cheese is so much better. The flavor is much deeper, and it has a zip that the pre-grated stuff lacks. Heavy cream is a must.
Pumpkin Risotto Recipe
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 medium saucepan
- 1 whisk
- 1 kitchen knife
- 1 fork
- 1 cutting board
- 2 ½ C water
- 1½ C arborio rice most short or medium grain rice will do
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ pound pumpkin calbaza or butternut squash, diced small
- 1 TB butter or olive oil
- ½ sm onion diced small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk scallion optional
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 C heavy cream
- ½ C grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the rice with salt in a small pot for about 10 minutes. While the rice cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients. In a med saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add pumpkin, onion, garlic, and salt. Stir well and sauté for about 2 minutes to release flavors. Reduce heat to med-low and add enough water to cover the pumpkin. Cover and let pumpkin simmer until it's soft. About 7 minutes. Use a fork to mash the pumpkin. Add cheese and cream. Stir well to create a rich pumpkin sauce. Stir in the cooked rice. and scallions
This dish is excellent all by itself, but if you are craving something heartier pair it with your favorite meat and/ or vegetables to make a complete meal. A glass of wine makes an excellent accompaniment.
shown with orange beef + green beans