If I had to choose a favorite soup, mannish water would undoubtedly be the one. Not for the faint of heart. The main ingredients in this reputed aphrodisiac are goat’s head, tripe and testicles.
You read that correctly.
A male goat is required to make authentic Jamaican mannish water. If you’re not an adventurous eater you may want to by pass this one. If however you are a fan of adventurous culinarians like Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern this Jamaican delicacy is right up your alley. And. Aphrodisiac or not I love this soup. So much so that I have had relatives in Jamaica freeze my portion of mannish water for months at a time because I missed a holiday or other celebration.
Made using goat’s head and tripe; mannish water is a staple at Christmas and Easter time. Mannish water can be found at most traditional Jamaican celebrations. If you are squeamish or if you just can’t get goat’s head and tripe to purchase where you live, substitute goat meat and add a packet of mannish water soup mix for authentic flavor
- large stock pot
- 4 lb. goat’s head and tripe (cut into small pieces)
- 4 gal water
- 3 TB. salt
- 12 lg green bananas chopped
- 1 lb. coco malanga, chopped
- 1 lb. yam ñame, chopped
- 1 lb. carrots diced
- 1 lb. Chayote chayote, diced
- 1 lb. potatoes chopped
- 1 lb. flour , for dumplings
- 1 bunch scallions about 6 stalks, chopped
- 1 med. Habanero pepper whole
- 4 sprig thyme
- 1 C overproof white rum Bacardi, Wray & Nephew, etc.
- 3 pks mannish water soup mix
- Clean meat thoroughly with diluted vinegar water. In a 14qt or larger pot add meat to salted boiling water and let it scald for about 10 minutes. Discard the water. Add 2 gals of water and 1 TB salt to the pot and return to the fire. Cover and let meat simmer over medium heat for 1 hour. While meat cooks prepare the remaining ingredients. Cut tips from bananas, leave skin on, cut into small rounds. Peel and cut the remaining vegetables into small bite sized pieces. After meat has cooked, add vegetables and other ground provisions to the pot. Prepare the dumplings. Add more water, up to 2 gallons. Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes. Add dumplings to the pot. Stir well and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Taste for flavor. Add more salt and black pepper if desired.