Another popular Jamaican Saturday soup and a personal favorite is Chicken Foot Soup. Chicken Foot Soup is one of those love it or leave it Jamaican delicacies that this Jamaican absolutely loooves. Besides the obvious presence of a few chicken feet there is really no difference between chicken foot soup and a bowl of traditional Jamaican chicken soup. Chicken Foot soup is one of those take it or leave it dishes but, I can assure you that if you that if you eat some good authentic Chicken Foot Soup you will be hooked. The ingredients in chicken foot soup as with most other Caribbean soups can be as varied as ones imagination so go ahead and add your favourite vegetables to this exotic dish
In recent years chicken feet has become easier to find. Showing up even in some upscale, large chain stores. Still some of the ingredients traditionally used to make a pot of authentic Jamaican soup are not always easily found overseas. Regardless, all you need to whip up a hearty pot of Chicken Foot Soup are a few root vegetables, chicken feet, pumpkin (calbaza squash), fresh herbs and spices. Throw in a pack of Jamaican pumpkin noodle soup and you’ll be sipping sweet in no time. No matter where in the world you are.
Cutting veggies into small pieces not only helps them cook more quickly, it also makes a richer more flavorful soup.
Chicken Foot Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs. chicken feet
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or lime juice
- 2 gallons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic about 1 ½ tablespoons chopped
- ¼ lb pumpkin cubed
- 2 lg. potatoes
- 2 med. carrots
- 2 med turnips
- 1 large cho-cho chayote
- ½ Boiled Dumplings recipe uncooked.
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 stalk scallion or 1 medium onion chopped small
- 1 pk. Pumpkin noodle soup
- Wash chicken feet in 2 tablespoons vinegar or lime juice and 1 gallon water. Discard water. Place meat in large pot add salt, pepper, 1 quart of water, pumpkin and garlic. Cover and let simmer over med- low heat for 30 minutes. While the chicken feet cooks peel vegetables and cut into small pieces. Remove lid. Add veggies and stir well. Pour in ½ gallon water cover and let cook for 15 minutes. While the vegetables cook prepare the dumplings. After 15 minutes add dumplings to pot and stir well.
- When the soup begins to boil add remaining quart of water, thyme, schallion and noodle packet. Stir well, cover the pot and let it cook for 10 minutes. Remove the cover, stir well, replace cover and simmer for an additional 5 to 7 minutes.