A Jamaican chicken foot soup recipe is almost identical to the more traditional chicken soup. Besides the obvious presence of a few chicken feet there is really no difference between chicken foot soup and a traditional Jamaican chicken soup. Unfortunately the main ingredient can be a little off-putting for some. The fact that chicken feet are low in calories and fat is an added bonus. Chicken Foot soup is one of those take it or leave it dishes but, I can assure you that if you that if you eat some good authentic chicken foot soup you will be hooked. A bowl of chicken foot soup also happens to be a hearty, low calories, nutrient laden meal.
In recent years chicken feet has become easier to find. Showing up even in some upscale, large chain stores. Other ingredients like chayote that is traditionally used can usually be found where Caribbean and Spanish foods are sold. Zucchini makes an excellent substitute if you can’t find chayote. The other vegetables and ground provisions can be as substituted based on availability or to suit your personal taste. Essentially, all you need to create the chicken foot soup recipe below are a few root vegetables, chicken feet and pumpkin. Top it off with some fresh herbs and spices. Throw in a pack of Jamaican pumpkin noodle soup and you’ll be sipping sweet in no time.
Dumplings are a staple ingredient in most Jamaican soups but they are not required and have little impact on the flavor. If you have dietary concerns or allergies like celiac disease, omit the dumplings and noodle pack. If you omit the noodles, use a chicken bouillon cube or a combination of allspice, garlic, thyme and hot pepper to boost the flavor of your soup.
Cutting veggies into small pieces not only helps them cook more quickly, it also produces a richer more flavorful soup.
Chicken Foot Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs. chicken feet
- 2 TB vinegar, or lime juice
- 2 gal water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic about 1 ½ tablespoons chopped
- ½ lb pumpkin cubed
- 1 lg potato
- ½ lb Caribbean yam, peeled and cubed
- 2 med carrot
- 2 med turnips
- 1 lg cho-cho chayote
- dumpling ½ boiled dumpling recipe
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 stalk scallion, or 1 medium onion chopped small
- 1 pk Pumpkin noodle soup
- Wash chicken feet in 2 tablespoons vinegar or lime juice and cold water. Discard water. Place meat in large pot add salt, pepper, 1qt of water, pumpkin and garlic. Cover and let simmer over med- low heat for 45 minutes. While the chicken feet cooks peel vegetables and cut into small pieces. Remove lid. Add veggies and stir well. Pour in ½ gallon water cover and let cook for 30 minutes. While the vegetables cook prepare the dumplings. After 15 minutes add dumplings to pot and stir well.
- When the soup begins to boil add more water if desired. Add thyme, scallion and noodle. Stir well, cover the pot and let it cook for 10 minutes. Remove the cover, stir well, replace cover and simmer for an additional 5 to 7 minutes.